Pages

Friday, August 24, 2007

Byron Bay Writers Festival - Maggie's report




My virgin status was both daunting and exciting. My favourite speakers were the wonderful Richard Flanagan and clever Garry Disher, Journalist Gideon Haigh, and Cate Kennedy...who`s short fiction book I`m reading.

I was riveted by the young Zahra Ghahramani (Islam and the rights of women) as she spoke about her earlier life and imprisonment in Tehran, the subject of her first book.All the women in our group were wonderful, warm and great fun to be around. Made we 'newies' feel welcome...thanks you lot.
Lastly, a special mention goes to my non member nocturnal companion, Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, otherwise known as the Bloody Fridge, whose cold metal side nudged my pillow and sang to me intermittently each night...making sure I didn`t drop off too much and miss anything.


Maggie

No comments: